🔕 🔔

Should I be careful of certain foods since m dad has diabetes

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago

Is he Type I or Type II? (By the way, this is more of a cooking and kitchen emergency Q & A, more cooks than Doctors here.)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

The American Diabetes Association website is a great place to start with diabetic meal planning. Anthing that raises blood sugar should be avoided and the site can educate you about foods that do so. Here's the link: http://www.diabetes.org...

671b6c39 4898 435f 92c5 89cd9b925088  img 3788

If it is Type II, then you just need to stay in a healthy weight range. If it is Type I, there is not much you can do - you either have the gene or you don't. In general, it is a good idea to eat a fairly low-carb diet. Avoid eating a lot of wheat, potato, rice, and sugar. You are actually better off eating sugar than white rice in terms of how it raises your blood sugar levels. Oh, and avoid juice of any kind. You can encourage your father to eat this way too. Since I have a family member with Diabetes, we all cut back on the carbs and are healthier as a result. You can't go wrong with lots of veggies, fruit, olive oil, dairy, and proteins.