What are some good ways to use kala jeera? Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Last night I used some in a lemon and cumin red-lentil soup (inspired by a recipe in Ruhlman's "Twenty"). It's delicious! I noticed he uses it in a chicken cashew curry that's posted on his site as well. But I cannot find many other recipes. Your ideas? Thanks so much. ;o)

beyondcelery
beyondcelery July 6, 2012

I use them in my Peanuts & Carrots side dish, here:
http://food52.com/recipes...
They're also a main part of a recipe my mom made a lot when I was little: Mrs. Chawdry's Potatoes. I believe it's a recipe in The Vegetarian Epicure, this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Epicure-Anna-Thomas/dp/0394717848
Really interesting cookbook, by the way. Some recipes are very odd (kind of "hippie"), but many are awesome. Message me if you'd like the potato recipe. I can type it out for you.

AntoniaJames July 6, 2012

Thanks, beyondcelery. That Peanuts and Carrots recipe looks great! Your curry blend is calling my name (loudly), too. I can't wait to try it. I own the Vegetarian Epicure, which I bought five or six years after it was published (while I was in college). It was the first paperback cookbook I'd ever bought, and for years was one of only 5 or 6 cookbooks, total, that I owned. (The Russian Vegetable Pie in that book is classic, by the way.) Thanks again! ;o)

hardlikearmour July 6, 2012

I bet panfusine has a bunch of ideas for it... maybe try direct messaging her.

AntoniaJames July 6, 2012

Great idea, hla. Thanks so much. It's an amazing spice. It smells kind of bitter in the jar, but becomes smoky and so delicious when cooked. I know I'll be using it often, e.g., in pan fried veggies with Indian spices, which I cook on a regular basis with whatever's in season. And that simple masoor dal was out of this world. Thanks again! ;o)

hardlikearmour July 6, 2012

I wonder if it would work as a component in your magical & award winning dukkah?

AntoniaJames July 6, 2012

Great minds think alike. -- I've been thinking about that since lunch, when I had some leftover dal! I expect it will be fantastic. It's like a smoky cumin. Imagine that. Why haven't I ever used this stuff before?!?! ;o)

susan g July 6, 2012

Want overload? Here's the link to Food Blog Search for kala jeera --
http://foodblogsearch.com/results/?cx=003084314295129404805%3A72ozi9a0fjk&q=kala+jeera&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search+Food+Blogs&cof=FORID%3A11#1139
A quick skim found lots of tempting sounding recipes.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery July 6, 2012

Russian Vegetable Pie? I know what I'm looking up when I get off work today... Thanks!

Panfusine
Panfusine July 7, 2012

I have a stash of Kala Jeera I brought back from my last India trip.. But I've yet to try it on anything..

Tarragon
Tarragon July 7, 2012

I just have to take this opportunity to say that I learn the most amazing things from Food 52ers! Never heard of Kala Jeera before - Now I have to order it from Penzeys (I didn't even realize they had it). Thank you all!

AntoniaJames July 7, 2012

Tarragon, I bought mine from Penzeys when in their shop a few months ago . . . one of the reasons I stop in and browse, every time I have a business trip over on the Peninsula. The Kala Jeera just might be my answer to smoky paprika, which I cannot eat. I'm thrilled beyond words to have happened upon it. ;o)

PistachioDoughnut
PistachioDoughnut July 8, 2012

Hi AJ, Sorry to reply late.. I use Kala Jeera for two regular recipes one is this dry potato subji and another is Jeera Rice with peas, cashews, sultanas.
5-6 medium size potatoes, boiled,1 and half tsp cumin seeds/Kala jeera, 3/4 cup chopped coriander leaves,1 green chili, chopped,1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional), 1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional) ,3-4 tsp lemon juice ,3 tbsp oil, sendha namak/rock salt for taste
method

peel the boiled potatoes and cut into cubes.
heat oil.
add the cumin seeds and let these sizzle in the oil.
now add the green chilies and fry for a minute.
add the potato cubes and mix it well with the cumin seeds and chilies.
sprinkle the turmeric powder, red chili powder and rock salt.
saute the potatoes for 2-3 minutes.
add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
mix the whole mixture well for a minute.
serve the jeera aloo hot.