What cake should I bake if I wish to present it as a gift for a friend?

These are my considerations: the cake has to be easy to package (ie. no runny frosting), has staying power (ie. doesn't stale easily), and preferably, is something unique (ie. not like the everyday yogurt cake type of cake).

Voted the Best Reply!

CHeeb
CHeeb July 9, 2012

Don't forget the Food 52 delight of 2011 , Louisa's lemon ricotta cake. Saragrad, this one layer cake is moist , thanks to a grated apple and ricotta , and flavorful thanks to lemon peel . It can be dusted with powdered sugar, or iced with a simple cream cheese /lemon frosting. It also is better after it sits for a day or two. You cannot go wrong with this recipe!!!!! NJOY!!!

saragrad
saragrad July 9, 2012

Thanks for all the ideas, I think this lemon ricotta cake will be added to my shortlist!

Maedl July 10, 2012

Patricia Wells has a recipe for an olive oil-grape cake with orange and lime zest. It has pine nuts on top and is dusted with powdered sugar. It is delicious-and if you want to make it elegant, you can do a spun sugar topping.

meganvt01
meganvt01 July 10, 2012

I really like Midge's Grown Up Birthday Cake - it has olive oil and is really almost savory rather than too sweet. I think this would be a nice gift because it would be difficult (if not impossible) to buy such a unique cake anywhere.

savorthis
savorthis July 10, 2012

I love the caramelized pear cake from Bi-Rite Market in SF and have been making it for years. It is easy to make, beautiful and can be modified with apples, extra ginger or zest. I like to top it with squiggles of candied orange and lemon peel and sometimes you can find tiny pears or apples that you can also coat in shimmery sugar. I also almost always dust it with ground hazelnuts and serve it with spiked whipped cream. http://www.epicurious.com...