🔕 🔔

Saving Lemons

I have a bunch of lemons that are starting to go bad. Is there any way of keeping them from doing so? I was thinking of juicing them. Will the juice still be okay if the peel is starting to turn. And is there any way of saving the peel or zest, on those lemons whose outsides still look okay.

asked by ATG117 about 5 years ago

If the outsides are "ok" then the peel is fine - right? If they are not rotten inside (even a little brown is ok) then use the juice it's fine.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Cut into wedges or slices and freeze individually on a sheet tray. When frozen you can pack in a ziplock. Then pull out as needed for a drink or recipe as required.

So I was wondering about freezing. Have you used frozen slices with success? Can I freeze them whole or is it better, in general, to freeze the juice as mentioned above. Assuming I go with the juicing option, Can I use a peeler to take off the zest in sheets first and freeze those as well?

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

You can freeze the peel until you have enough (or are in the mood) to make candied peel, too.