Salad

What is a good salad for a Mexican dinner party menu?

asked by Sweetleahbee over 6 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I don't have a specific recipe but I'd riff on a red cabbage coleslaw and look for ways to incorporate Mexican flavours - cilantro, lime, cumin, jalapeños, red peppers, corn, etc.

Consider adding some jicama to the salad to add a nice textural element.
I'd just make a simple salad with a olive oil and lime juice dressing. The corn suggestion is a good one and colorful. Black beans (rinsed) are a good addition with corn kernels. Tomatoes for more flavor and color. Avocado if you don't have it repeating as a guacamole. I like the suggestion of the red cabbage that has a some good eye appeal.

ChefOno

Some suggestions with recipes:

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/category?categoryID=8

sfmiller

This one is really tasty, if you can score good watercress. If you can't, the chile and pistachio topping works with other greens, too.

http://patismexicantable.com/2012/04/apple-radish-watercress-salad-pistachio-chile-de-arbol.html#more

sfmiller

Add your answer here

RobertaJ

One of my favorites is cilantro slaw. Cabbage, shredded as for coleslaw, mixed with thin-sliced sweet onion (red, or Vidalias), chopped, peeled & seeded cucumbers and a good handful of minced cilantro. The dressing is EVOO, lime juice, minced/pressed garlic and S&P. Toss all together and serve.

Another good one is romaine lettuce with julienned or diced jicama, citrus supremes (orange or grapefruite work well), halved cherry tomatoes, thin sliced red onion, diced avocado and toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas). Dress with EVOO mixed with cider vinegar, lime juice, garlic, S&P, ground cumin and red pepper flakes. Run the dressing through a blender or blitz with a stick blender. Good stuff.

And of course, a "real" Caeser (with anchovies) is very Mexican.