self-rising flour

I was at my mom's home attempting to use overripe bananas in a banana bread, when I got to the dry ingredients and realized my mom was out of flour (she's not a big baker). For some reason, she had self-rising flour, so i left out the added leavener and just went with the 1 1/4 c self rising flour. The flavor was off and the texture was much fluffier than usual. Can anyone explain the science behind this.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • July 24, 2012

davidpdx
davidpdx July 24, 2012

Just some logical guesses: Off flavors could be anything: age; storage conditions; type of leavening in the SR flour; etc. Fluffiness could be because SR flours likely are low protein, as SR flours are more likely substitutes for cake flour than for AP or bread flour.

ChefOno
ChefOno July 25, 2012

Four guesses: Old flour = rancid flour = off flavor. Self-rising flour typically has salt added to it in addition to the leavening so that might have been a factor in both flavor and texture. The flour could simply have had more or less leavening than your recipe calls for. Bleaching changes flour to a discernible extent and most self-riding flours are bleached.