Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Substitute all purpose flour for bread flour in banana bread?

I want to make banana bread but I realized I only have bread flour right now and it's raining cats and dogs outside so I don't want to go to the grocery store. If I use bread flour, do I have to adjust the rest of the recipe at all? I was going to use this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

asked by Danandfood about 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

Bread flour has more protein than all-purpose; it will make a slightly chewier loaf. You can remove 2 tbsp of the flour and replace it with 2 tbsp of cornstarch, which will reduce the overall protein content slightly.

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

And another thing -- bread flour has a higher gluten content, which means you might get a slightly different texture than the recipe intended. If you substitute, make sure you don't overwork the batter!