🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Frito Pie

C8e8b698 34cb 4c19 9cd1 329972c3f441  6886743715 9013a814c6 z

I have a question about the recipe "Frito Pie" from arielleclementine. What's a good substitute for Shiner Bock? Shiner's hard to find outside of Texas

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Any dark lager would work just as well in the recipe!

09e96f32 5fc6 465f ae05 9f156b104560  family feb2012 version 2

My experience with chile and beer,is that dark beer can leave bitter notes with long cooking and a lighter beer holds up better. I just use Dos Equis or Budwieser. They both taste great in chile for Frito Pie.

You want a rich beer with substantial body. I believe bock beers are lightly hopped, so you don't want a bitter beer. Try finding a local bock beer from your local microbrewery, although that might be hard because bocks are seasonal. Or perhaps you can find a Sam Adams Bock--that might be heavier than the Shiner, but I think it would still be good. If you can't find a bock, then ask for assistance at the liquor store. They are very helpful in guiding customers to good alternatives. I definitely wouldn't use Budweiser, which I think is totally undrinkable and would give the dish an off-taste. (And I come from St. Louis, so it takes a bit of nerve to say that.)