Pattypan Squash

We took a drive to Palisade yesterday, famous for Colorado peaches, and came back with peaches, green tomatoes, eggplant, beets, turnips, and pattypan squash. Has anyone here grilled pattypan squash and was it good? I will be using Amanda's recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes w/Panko & Parmesan; roasting the beets and turnips; and like the idea of doing both the eggplant and squash on the grill with olive oil, salt and pepper.

• Posted by: JanetFL
  • July 29, 2012

miss jane
miss jane July 29, 2012

They're great on the grill. I cut them in about half inch round pieces, brush w olive oil & sprinkle w salt & pepper. Grill at an angle and turn once, just about 3 or 4 minutes per side. You don't want them limp, just a little chewy. They're very cute w their off shapes.

JanetFL
JanetFL July 29, 2012

Thanks, miss jane - I will grill them using your method.

jmburns
jmburns July 29, 2012

I also roast them in the oven. About 30 mins at 400. They hold up well. Just salt pepper and olive oil.

JanetFL
JanetFL July 29, 2012

Thank you for another idea, jmburns. Do you slice the sqash or just cut them in half?

savorthis
savorthis July 30, 2012

Oh Palisade...I bet it is great there right now! We recently had to breeze past Paonia...and I wish we had more time to visit the valley. I used to stuff pattypan with herby cheese and breadcrumbs or maybe add a little bacon in the mix. It goes quickly on the grill and is so sweet. Agree on slicing it crosswise- they are like little flowers.

JanetFL
JanetFL July 30, 2012

Savorthis, it's wonderful here - I'm actually in Gunnison where it's cool and beautiful. I love stuffed pattypan and thought I would try it grilled so am happy to hear that it turns out so well....and pretty!

Susanadrienne
Susanadrienne July 30, 2012

I love pattypan squash! Does anyone know where I can find it in north NJ? Csnt find it anywhere ! Thanks