Infusing alcohol question for Kitchen Konfidence

I've heard freezing berries will break down the cell wall enough to bring about a better infusion than just plain fresh. You used heat, to accomplish the same thing. Interesting! My ? is: Lemon rind (for limoncello) I feel comfortable leaving on the counter. Water content low. Berries? Not so much. Safe? Or refridgerate?

asked by SuperFineSugar about 6 years ago

Kitchen Konfidence

Hi! That is an interesting point about the berries. Might be a great option during the months when berries are no longer in season!

You can leave infused alcohol at room temperature, but I've found that it goes bad faster. Any solids left in the alcohol will eventually break down (turn fuzzy) and have an adverse effect on the taste. You can leave the Blueberry Basil Infused Vodka on the counter, but I wouldn't do so for very long. Another option might be to strain through a coffee filter to remove any solids. But I never have the patience to strain something through a coffee filter.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks