🔕 🔔

An Abundance of Peach Syrup - How to put it to Good Use

We made peach butter two weeks ago. When you're finished processing your peaches you have all of this left over juice, which we turned into the most fantastically peachy jelly. The second time we tried this errors were made and the jelly did not set. Now we have many, many jars of fantastically peachy syrup. We made daiquiris with it, but you can only drink so many of those, even when it's 100 degrees out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for using up the peach syrup?

asked by chl0525 over 5 years ago

Add to champagne for a Bellini drink!

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Love HalfPint's drink ideas - especially the white wine sangria. A bit of mint in there too? Nice.

Alternatively, reduce it to a thick syrup and use as a sauce for desserts: almond cake, ice cream, sponge or angel food cakes, etc.

You could also use the syrup to "dress" a fruit salad or fresh berries, like you would dress a vegetable salad with a vinaigrette.

Infuse it with basil, dilute with soda water, garnish with a basil leaf, and Wow your friends. Or use it for canning blueberries. Or peaches topped with brandy or (a recent love interest of mine), Slivovitz. Save it for glazing a pound cake in the dead of winter. Just barely sweeten a white wine vinaigrette. Glaze a ham with it! Use it to make mustard! Use it to make pickles, adding allspice berries, a few cloves, black peppercorns and bay leaves. Oh, you have totally piqued my interest with this inquiry. ;o)

And there's no reason not to try to make it into jelly again, using a good apple-based pectin. Do it on a very small scale first, to test the proportions needed to get the set right. I've been down that road many times!! Something else I've done in the past, when I had a similar problem with a peach jam that did not set, was to make a very stiff batch of plum jam using Pomona pectin, putting the latter in quart jars in my fridge for a week until I could confirm the degree of stiffness I'd achieved. Then I mixed the soupy peach stuff in with the stiff plum preserves and processed one jar to test, again checking about a week later. (It takes that long for many stone fruit preserves to prove how firm or loose they are.) It worked like a charm, so I dumped all the jars into my jamming pan, brought the mixture just to a boil, then processed as usual. It produced one of the best preserves I've ever made!! ;o)

You could freeze it for later use. Peach sorbet would also be nice.

It would probably be great on pancakes or waffles too.

97a8ddcf b448 426a 9bd8 eed4b204cdb5  hussie icons chl

Thanks for all of the fantastic ideas! I picked up 3 boxes of peaches last night so we'll be jamming and buttering again this weekend.