Fermentation in Stainless Steel

Someone told me recently that fermenting foods in stainless steel would cause a tin like taste in your food. While I can see this happening for aluminum, I am skeptical of it being true for steel. Ultimately I would like to use a steel French press to make Kraut and Kimchi? Good Idea? Bad Idea.

asked by NealB over 6 years ago

Probably a bad idea for those applications. Get a cheep ceramic cookie jar from a thrift store.

IlovePhilly

Stainless steel is a bad choice for fermentation for a few reasons. One good one is that you can't observe the process in steel, but more importantly

ChefOno

Stainless is often used for commercial production of kraut (not to mention wine and beer). Make sure your press doesn't have any brass or other types of metal fittings (some of mine do).

Sharon

It might depend on the quality of the stainless steel. Although I wouldn't ferment anything in stainless, I do use stainless spoons and strainers with fermented foods. I found a gallon crock from an old Crock Pot at a thrift store, and I cover it with a plate. I also use gallon glass jars scavenged from local restaurants and smaller Mason jars as well. Although stainless is largely considered nonreactive...it's used in labs...I feel more comfortable with lead-free ceramics and with glass.