🔕 🔔

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

When the folks at Cook's Illustrated tested food processors, they found the plastic dough blade not very functional. Use the metal.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I agree I tucked mine away and never use it, always use the steel blade it only takes a few short pulses to get the pie dough to where you want it.

Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

Nothing to do with shortcrust, which I have not tried in the food processor, but I have found that the plastic blade can be great for other types of dough that require lots of mixing - I often use mine to make gougeres. While it might not work for pie dough, don't discount it yet!

Wholefoods user icon

I have used both. The steel blade gives me better results.

The best result may come from using the paddle attachment on a KithenAid mixer. Granted, short dough is very forgiving because of its high ratio of buttter; nonetheless, the more it is mixed at higher rates of speed, the softer that butter becomes, resulting in a dough that is not unlike bubble gum. It is going to need to be chilled before rolling/shaping, but the time may be reduced and the texture less compromised by using a mixer rather than a food processor.

Ef581ac0 2eff 43ec b0a7 d6aa1b61ab38  fc macaroon 830
Joanne Chang

Joanne Chang is the pastry chef/co-owner of Flour Bakery+Cafe and chef/co-owner of Myers+Chang in Boston.

Agree w Cynthia! We use only paddle in a mixer for our doughs and haven't used a food processor before. Paddle gives you more control of butter we find.