🔕 🔔

Mold on Fermented Tomatoes- still good?

I'm new to the fermentation game. I've made simple things like kimchi, sauerkraut, preserved lemons, and salt fermented pickles. Recently I packed some extra tomatoes in a salt brine with garlic and herbs, covered them loosely with a linen, and actually forgot about them for two weeks. When I rediscovered them today, there was a thin layer of scum and mold on top of the brine. I skimmed it off and the tomatoes seem fine. They are bright red with no mold. Are the tomatoes ok to use? Is the brine ok to use? Thanks everyone!

asked by minibakersupreme 8 months ago

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

While I've never made fermented tomatoes myself, my understanding is that white mold is good (actually you are supposed to mix it in), but other colors of mold are not (black is bad).

Here's a fairly long article on the subject:

http://www.underwoodgardens...

with multiple photographs, some of which show the white mold.

It's a shame you didn't not bother to post a photograph. That may have been more helpful to others here who make this preparation to diagnose your fermentation.

Anyhow, good luck with your decision on whether to discard or not.