Help! I had a wooden bowl with some shallots in it on the counter. Somehow a new potato jumped in there too and rotted!!

It reeks! How do I eliminate that smell from the wooden bowl? Right now it's sitting out in the sun

Nozlee Samadzadeh
Nozlee Samadzadeh August 13, 2012

You can try a few things: first, soak the bowl in a weak solution of white vinegar for about 12 hours, then wash, dry, and oil the bowl to make sure it doesn't crack. (Vinegar draws out smells.)

You might also try storing charcoal inside the bowl. Charcoal is a purifier and may remove some of the smell.

Let us know what you try -- good luck!

meulenbeld
meulenbeld August 13, 2012

Try to emerse it in water and leave it there for some time. After some time take it out and leave it to dry. Rub it with the oil that's suited for wooden utensils you use for food. If this doesn't work, well ...

chef of the future 2000

Take it out of the sun you will dry out the wood and perhaps crack the bowl. Your cleaning will depend on the type of wood and how the bowl is
finished. If its "raw" wood then I would try rubbing with very fine steel wool and soapy water. You maybe out of luck if the wood has absorbed the stain/smell into the grain

HalfPint August 14, 2012

Scrub with a lemon half and some salt. Rinse, dry with a towel and then oil like everyone else has suggested. It's the procedure that I use on my wooden cutting boards.