🔕 🔔

Hummus general question

When heating up dried chickpeas, the 'skin' or shell on the outermost part of the comes off or loosens up. I've yet to see a recipe that suggests removing this before making the hummus, in the past, I have pinched the chickpeas individually to remove this. Two questions: 1) what is that part called 2) should this be removed?

asked by Chris D. over 5 years ago

2928775c f762 436c 8c93 8ddae21710ea  039

1) Skin 2) It isn't necessary, whatever process you are using to grind the chickpeas up will take care of the skins. You are making your own hummus, pat yourself on the back and call it a day. To put this in perspective - do you pull the skins off your peanuts after you shell them?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Since the skins soften up when they are cooked, and pulverize in a blender or food processor (or other puree device), I assume that they are not indigestible. Digestive issues would be the only reason I would worry about them -- so don't!

I've tried to remove them before -- the chickpeas are creamier without them, I think -- but ultimately gave up as it's such a big effort and not really necessary.

I think technically the "skin" is called the seedcoat, but once it's in the food processor it's all called hummus!

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

One trick to get smoother hummus without removing all the skins is to blend the beans while they're still a little warm.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

I did it once...NEVER AGAIN!!! It took me hours and it tasted the same...maybe a little smother,but nothing worth the trouble.Use your blender and you will be fine.