🔕 🔔

How to reheat refrigerated brown basmati rice

I have some leftover brown basmati rice in the fridge and I want to reheat it for tonight's dinner. How can I do so properly?

asked by KatyM over 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

Hi KatyM,

The easiest way is to use a simple steamer set up on the stove top. Simmer an inch of water in a 2 or 3 qt sauce pan and put the rice in the steamer insert. If you don't have an insert or the holes are too big that the rice would fall trough, use an everyday bowl strainer that you can pick up at most grocery stores, just make sure it fits the sauce pan and does not touch the bottom where the water is. Put a lid or a pie pan over the strainer and steam the rice for about 4-5 minutes, depending on how much rice you are heating up at once. you can give it a turn using a fork, just kind of fluff it a bit, please be mindful of any built up steam in the pan. User a kitchen towel to lift the lid and make sure you open it away from you. Hope that helps!
What are you serving with the brown rice? you could always take a fried rice approach if you doing some stir-fry dish.
Good luck! CK

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

When I reheat rice I usually steam it for a few minutes: I very loosely lay heaping spoonfuls of rice into a steamer basket, set over boiling water, cover and occasionally fluff with a fork.
Microwaving will work too; add a tablespoon or so of water and heat covered, maybe 35-45 seconds per half cup of cooked rice. Stop and fluff at the halfway point to get an idea of how much more time.