Have any of you made Jeni Britton Bauer's splendid base recipe using homemade cream cheese, or one made without any stabilizers? ;o

Just wondering. I bought some commercial cream cheese to use in that recipe, but would prefer to use homemade, if I knew it would work. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked about 6 years ago

You should be fine with homemade cream cheese. It's not the stabilizers in commercial cream cheese that is needed. The reason for the cream cheese is the casein, which naturally occurs in milk products, ie. cheese. Casein provides the nice smooth texture of the ice cream.

Thank you, HalfPint. This is so helpful! (I love the Hotline. Just love it. Actually, I love the community members who contribute to it even more!!) ;o)