Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Have any of you made Jeni Britton Bauer's splendid base recipe using homemade cream cheese, or one made without any stabilizers? ;o

Just wondering. I bought some commercial cream cheese to use in that recipe, but would prefer to use homemade, if I knew it would work. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

You should be fine with homemade cream cheese. It's not the stabilizers in commercial cream cheese that is needed. The reason for the cream cheese is the casein, which naturally occurs in milk products, ie. cheese. Casein provides the nice smooth texture of the ice cream.

Thank you, HalfPint. This is so helpful! (I love the Hotline. Just love it. Actually, I love the community members who contribute to it even more!!) ;o)

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.