🔕 🔔

Canning 101

I've never canned anything before, mostly because the equipment/process intimidates me a little. However, I now find myself with quite a lot of CSA fruit I don't want to see go to waste. My question is: is it possible to can safely without a whole lot of extra equipment? What basic advice can you offer a first time canner?

asked by Cristina Sciarra about 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

First step, bookmark this site:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

The USDA's Complete Guide to Home Canning is available here (for free):

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications...

Like anything else in the kitchen, canning is easy once you get started. And it's perfectly safe as long as you follow the advice in the guide.

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

The first time that I canned anything I just followed the directions that came with the jars to the letter. Then as I kept reading up on canning from the many many books on the subject , I found my best way to do it.

All these answers are helpful. I've made jam on the tiniest stove imaginable in a rental unit on the North Umpqua River, with just a couple of medium-large pots, a large spoon and a box of Ball jars. With a normally equipped kitchen, you can do it more easily. A jar lifter, a magnet for jar lids (I use a nice telescoping one from the hardware store) and a wide mouth funnel make the job much easier. You don't need a canning pot and rack; you can just put some dishcloths on the bottom of a regular large pot, to keep the jars from rattling too much. I highly recommend that you make jam or chutneys, with a fair bit of acid and sugar, as those are the least worrisome. And, as dymnyno says, follow the directions with the canning jars to the letter. And don't play around with recipes, as the acid levels, etc. needed for shelf stability have been worked out, so don't upset that balance. Have fun!! ;o) P.S. My favorite helpful trick for canning is to put your clean, empty jars in brownie pans or similar large rectangular baking pans, sterilize them in the oven, and then leave them in the pan while you are filling the jars; then take the pan with jars back to the stove, to lift them into the boiling water bath. This reduces the amount of handling and moving around of hot glass jars.

97a8ddcf b448 426a 9bd8 eed4b204cdb5  hussie icons chl

Check with your local state extension office. I live in Kansas City and jut took one that was offered by the K State extension office. 2 classes, one on water bath canning and one on pressure canning, and I was ready to go. Check www.foodinjars.com, she has some really creative recipes.

8964b3c9 321d 4694 8cb9 0831179b34db  welovephotobooths 1 1042624

I find this article useful and un-intimidating: http://thehairpin.com/2012...

In general:
-stick to jam for your first forays into canning (lower acid food should be pressure canned, which is more complicated)
-don't cut the sugar in your recipe
-you can get a basic canning kit (jar lifters, funnel, magnetic wand) from Amazon for under $10, and it will make your canning so much easier

Just put aside a big block of time to do it and have fun!