🔕 🔔

Best substitute for Mirin?

I was hoping to make the black bean and orange peel edamame, although the local store by our house doesn't carry Mirin. What's a good substitution for it?

asked by darksideofthespoon about 5 years ago

Got this from the Seattle Times:

If you don't have mirin, there are many common suggestions for substitutions. You can just use dry sherry or sweet marsala, for instance. Or you can dissolve a small amount of sugar in a little white wine or sherry, perhaps a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to 1/4 cup wine wine.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Sake plus a little sugar.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

Thanks, guys! I might just have to make a special trip to the asian supermarket for the Mirin after all, wouldn't hurt to have a bottle handy! Plus then I won't have Sake in the house tempting me. ;)