Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

How long does candied orange peel keep? And how should I store it? I always have more time in March than in November; I use it in early December. ;o)

Can I make it now, while oranges are still in season? (Also, sometimes oranges are late. That puts me in a real jam, as I need the candied peels for holiday gifts that I must ship by December 10.) Thank you so much. ;o)

When I was working in a small creperie in downtown portland, or we made candied orange peel often. I was told that you can keep them for up to 6 months when stored in a dry place.

Antonia - I think Cameron is right, it should last into the fall holidays. Especially if the final use is baking with it vs serving it as a solo desert. I wonder if it would freeze OK. You might want to do a test.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

aj, we eat so many clementines this time of year! i now have a TON of candied orange rind. Yes, they freeze perfectly (and forever)and do not suffer from defrosting and refreezing.i keep them in the freezer because they would take up way too much space in my extra frig.

Anyone have a recipe they especially like for candied orange rind?

Pegeen, I noticed on another thread that hardlikearmour recommends this one: http://www.foodnetwork... I bought oranges yesterday for making that recipe tonight. Stay tuned. . . . ;o)

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I've successfully frozen it for over a year, particularly when they will be used in baking (they tend to be a bit on the moist side when they come out of the freezer). Recipe? 1/2 lb orange rind (pith removed) sliced into small triangles (any shape really; I just like triangles); 2 cups water; 2 cups sugar. Boil water and sugar until clear, add orange rind. Simmer until cooked through (limp; slightly translucent). Strain (reserving the syrup) and push the rind hard against your strainer to get as much liquid off as possible. Spread on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment. Sprinkle with sugar and toss until all the peel pieces are thoroughly coated (this may take a couple of cups of sugar - don't be stingy!). Allow to dry overnight. If it is still too wet, toss with more sugar and allow to dry further. Shake off excess sugar (reserve) and place in a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible. Put the zip either in freezer for long-term storage, or on pantry for more immediate use. Unfrozen, it will keep just about forever but will dry out in a big way (it usually takes 4 to 6 weeks before it gets unpleasantly dry). With the reserved syrup and orange sugar -- let your imagination be your guide, but they make lovely cocktail mixers. Or use some of the syrup to infuse your next chocolate cake...

1e4ea96e 9c14 4d2c aafd 47e90317b291  screen shot 2014 03 23 at 7.46.48 pm

I've always heard that you can bet on them keeping for ~6 months, when stored in a cool, dry place.
I've only candied orange wedges, but I think the same principals apply. I dehydrate the wedges the day after candying them, then layer them between sheets of parchment paper in a short, wide-mouth glass jar. I think the paper is unnecessary, but I'm paranoid about them somehow turning into one big mecha-orange wedge when my back is turned. Also, if I don't expect to use them within a month or two, I store them in the refrigerator.

AJ, thanks for the link. Sounds from many posters that freezing is OK.

I have a similar question about candied clementines (thin slices of the whole orange, not just the rind). Can they be frozen?

yes, certainly. I would spread them out in a single layer (NOT touching) in a flat metal pan/sheet pan. Freeze, pop off the pan, and store, stacked in a ziploc bag.