Subsititutes for buttermilk?

What can I use as a substitute for buttermilk in baking? I live in Bombay and it's hard to come by

• Posted by: Cinnamin
  • September 8, 2012

drbabs September 8, 2012

You can use whole milk and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to sour it.

darksideofthespoon
darksideofthespoon September 8, 2012

If you feel like making buttermilk - and butter: authentic buttermilk comes from whipping cream until it separates, so you'll have homemade butter and homemade buttermilk.

Most commercial buttermilk is just skim milk with thickening agents in it. True buttermilk is low in fat and much different. If this brand is near you, I've tried it and it's wonderful!

www.kateshomemadebutter.com/Kates-Butter_buttermilk.html

Dodobird21
Dodobird21 September 8, 2012

I like to use half milk and half lain Greek yogurt

Dodobird21
Dodobird21 September 8, 2012

I mean plain Greek yogurt

Cinnamin
Cinnamin September 9, 2012

Thanks for answers! I was confused because in India we make masala buttermilk by combining milk and plan yoghurt, wasn't sure if I could use that. I am going to try darksideofthespoon's technique as well. All these techniques are easy and accessible! Thanks much.

Voted the Best Reply!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

@darksideofthespoon " Most commercial buttermilk is just skim milk with thickening agents in it." This isn't quite true. Modern commercial buttermilk is a cultured product, like yogurt or creme fraiche. It is the acid produced by the bacteria which thickens the milk by partially coagulating the proteins. Because of this, modern recipes which rely on the acid content of commercial buttermilk CANNOT be made with traditional buttermilk (as left over after butter making), which is not sour enough.

If you don't have buttermilk, you can add 1 1/2 tsp (8ml) lemon juice or white vinegar to one cup milk; stir well and let stand 5 minutes. It won't be as thick as the commercial stuff, but will taste close enough to be useable.

lbs70
lbs70 September 9, 2012

I whisk nonfat milk with plain nonfat yogurt....