🔕 🔔

Subsititutes for buttermilk?

What can I use as a substitute for buttermilk in baking? I live in Bombay and it's hard to come by

asked by Cinnamin over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

You can use whole milk and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to sour it.

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

If you feel like making buttermilk - and butter: authentic buttermilk comes from whipping cream until it separates, so you'll have homemade butter and homemade buttermilk.

Most commercial buttermilk is just skim milk with thickening agents in it. True buttermilk is low in fat and much different. If this brand is near you, I've tried it and it's wonderful!

www.kateshomemadebutter...

I like to use half milk and half lain Greek yogurt

I mean plain Greek yogurt

B2da355f 6e1d 4141 8ad8 c0ba74931bc9  image083

Thanks for answers! I was confused because in India we make masala buttermilk by combining milk and plan yoghurt, wasn't sure if I could use that. I am going to try darksideofthespoon's technique as well. All these techniques are easy and accessible! Thanks much.

I whisk nonfat milk with plain nonfat yogurt....