Subsititutes for buttermilk?

What can I use as a substitute for buttermilk in baking? I live in Bombay and it's hard to come by

asked by Cinnamin almost 6 years ago

You can use whole milk and add about a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to sour it.

darksideofthespoon

If you feel like making buttermilk - and butter: authentic buttermilk comes from whipping cream until it separates, so you'll have homemade butter and homemade buttermilk.

Most commercial buttermilk is just skim milk with thickening agents in it. True buttermilk is low in fat and much different. If this brand is near you, I've tried it and it's wonderful!

www.kateshomemadebutter...

Dodobird21

I like to use half milk and half lain Greek yogurt

Dodobird21

I mean plain Greek yogurt

Cinnamin

Thanks for answers! I was confused because in India we make masala buttermilk by combining milk and plan yoghurt, wasn't sure if I could use that. I am going to try darksideofthespoon's technique as well. All these techniques are easy and accessible! Thanks much.

lbs70

I whisk nonfat milk with plain nonfat yogurt....