Citrus Zest

How long does grated citrus zest keep? Can it be frozen? Any tips for prolonging shelf-life? Thanks!

asked by dailykale about 6 years ago

minibakersupreme

I have gotten out of the habit of doing this, but I always used to zest any citrus I was juicing for a recipe, then keep it in an airtight bag or jar. So handy when you get in the middle of a cookie or bread recipe and realize, "Oh no! I should have bought an orange at the store..."

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can also dry it and then pulverize in a spice grinder (with salt or sugar if desired, or just on its own) and keep it as a powder.