🔕 🔔

Citrus Zest

How long does grated citrus zest keep? Can it be frozen? Any tips for prolonging shelf-life? Thanks!

asked by dailykale over 5 years ago

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

I have gotten out of the habit of doing this, but I always used to zest any citrus I was juicing for a recipe, then keep it in an airtight bag or jar. So handy when you get in the middle of a cookie or bread recipe and realize, "Oh no! I should have bought an orange at the store..."

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can also dry it and then pulverize in a spice grinder (with salt or sugar if desired, or just on its own) and keep it as a powder.