🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Short Rib Chili

C8cda837 b057 49f6 8b21 f932a9a42b57  food52 02 07 12 8078

I have a question about the ingredient "dried guajillo chiles" on the recipe "Short Rib Chili" from lastnightsdinner. I have Guajillo chili powder. How much would I use to substitute for the whole chilis and what level of spice would that add?

asked by NakedBeet about 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

You can go by weight. Figure 4 guajillo's per ounce. How much heat that would provide is a guess on top of a guess on top of a guess. Powders aren't the best for that type of dish, they tend to lose flavor in processing and storage and you never know if they include the inner membrane and seeds (where much of the heat resides). They can also be a little gritty. Personally, I'd double up on the anchos if I couldn't get my hands on guajillos, or sub another favorite chile like maybe pasilla. If you're looking for heat, toss in an arbol or two.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I think ChefOno's spot on - and I'd probably start with a smallish amount of the powder, adding more to taste as you go. Good luck!

I'm in the choir here. I agree with ChefOno and lastnights dinner. Guajillo are not terribly hot peppers, at only about 6,000 Scoville units. So tasting as you go is good advice. Remember, you can put it in but you can't take it out.