🔕 🔔

I have tried to make a balsamic reduction.

I read dozens of online recipes about it and even watched several online videos.

I poured the balsamic vinegar into a saucepan. Brought it to a boil (while whisking constantly).

Then I reduced the heat and continued to whisk. This whole process was likely 30-35 minutes.

In the end I wound up with hardly anything left in my saucepan (so it did reduce) but the consistency was just as fluid as when I started. It did not thicken and it did not get syrupy.

I even let it sit for hours at room temp and there was no thickening. What am I doing wrong here!? This shouldn't be so difficult!?

Am I supposed to add a thickening agent? If so what?
Is there a particular brand of balsamic vinegar I need to buy? If so what?
ARGH! Please help!

asked by christyud23 about 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

That is ODD - I reduce balsamic all of the time - but it will appear thin while still warm ... I keep mine in the fridge and that's when you can really tell it's reduced - thickened. Try chilling it and see if it thickens up maybe? BTW I don't boil mine, I just keep it on a low simmer until it's about 1/3 the original volume.

I do the same as you do but I add some organic honey to thicken the reduction up and it compliments the balsamic vinegar's tartness really well.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I've had the same thing happen. Once it's been reduced, if nothing has been added to it, mine generally thickens to a syrupy consistency only once it begins to cool.