Balsamic Vinegar

How does one get that thick, gooey vinegar to use as a drizzle....the one that tastes so wonderful

SeaJambon
SeaJambon August 3, 2013

Mine isn't thick and gooey, but flows easily. I'm wondering if yours isn't really old (which isn't necessarily a bad thing; I've seen some very expensive balsamics that have been "aged" 20+ years)? If so, I suppose you could thin it with a "younger" balsamic to get the desired consistency, although that does seem kind of counter productive if yours is a nicely aged version! Hopefully, someone else will have a better answer...

see
see August 3, 2013

If what you are looking for is a syrupy balsamic just simmer what you have until you get the desired consistency. Cool it and use it on everything from meats to fruit.

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefOno
ChefOno August 3, 2013

You're asking about a balsamic reduction: Begin with a good quality vinegar (not the fake stuff) and reduce *slowly* at a sub-simmer (steamy, no bubbles) until about the consistency of honey. As with all syrups, it will be thinner when warm so cool a spoonful for testing. Don't worry if you go a little too far, just thin it back down with a little water.

ChefOno
ChefOno August 3, 2013

Balsamic contains delicate flavor compounds hence the call for a slow, careful reduction.

Declan
Declan August 3, 2013

Reduced balsamic is a fabulous drizzle, packed with flavor. However, it'll stink your kitchen, and probably your house, out. Be ready for that
Pretty inexpensive to buy it in the supermarkets, and it comes in a squeeze bottle.

ChefJune August 4, 2013

The "Balsamic Vinegar" you buy in the grocery store is not real Aceto Balsamico. THAT is the syrupy stuff. And to get it, you really need to buy the real thing. It's a lot more expensive than what is sold as "Balsamic Vinegar." That is a mixture of red wine vinegar and a variety (depending upon the origin and the maker) of sweeteners and et cetera,

ChefOno
ChefOno August 4, 2013

While your local grocery is unlikely to stock Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale, Aceto Balsamico can be found at reasonable prices, some of it rivaling the expensive stuff. Unfortunately even more common are colored, sweetened and artificially-thickened imitation products. While the real deal is indeed viscous, I don't believe anyone would ever describe it as "gooey".

Kristen W.
Kristen W. August 5, 2013

Well here's a related question I've been wondering about: is the viscosity of real balsamic directly proportional to the length of time it's been aged, and if so, for a reduction would it not be best to use one that is comparatively "young" so as not to over-thicken it by reducing?

ChefOno
ChefOno August 5, 2013

I don't think so; I'll try to explain:

Traditional ("tradizionale") balsamic vinegars do get progressively thicker as they age making them, in fact, reductions per se, slowly losing moisture over the years. However, their viscosity is tightly controlled and, besides, nobody in their right mind would ever reduce one further.

Eschewing the mass-produced variety, that leaves us with balsamics that are engineered as their manufacturers' see fit, viscosity included. Since age adds complex flavors, it's to our benefit to begin with an older product. The final viscosity is a matter under your control.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. August 7, 2013

I see...so it sounds like not all non-mass produced balsamics are necessarily traditional balsamics -- do I understand that correctly?

Kristen W.
Kristen W. August 7, 2013

Never mind -- just read the other thread on balsamic and I think that answered the question. Thanks for the info.