How do I make tasty squares of tofu?

I like them on the WF hot bar, but don't have a clue how to do it myself. What type of tofu? Do I marinate? I'd like a low-calorie, tasty, quick way to prepare chunks to snack on or throw on a salad. Actually, any simple recipe for tofu would be appreciated. I'm done with buying it and looking at it until it goes bad...

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I take firm or extra-firm, slice it, place it on a plate between layers of paper towel, place another plate on top, then put a 2 lb weight on it (a large can of tomatoes does well). Let it stand for an hour or so to extract the water, then slide the slices into a marinade of soy sauce, hot sauce, honey and sesame oil for another hour or so; the tofu will soak up the marinade and be tasty. I pat them dry, dip them in cornstarch and fry until golden brown.

Hagerty

cut into 1/2 inch pieces on any shape (i do triangles), dredge in japanese rice flour, then deep fry. Serve with sweet chili sauce. so good

FunkyLady

Slice into half inch pieces and press between towels to remove excess moisture then marinate with your favorite marinade. I typically use the one that the whole foods mentioned but have also used my buffalo wing sauce. Then I bake on a cookie sheet at 425 for about 30 min or when they become golden brown, flipping once halfway through. Comes out great, good texture, low fat.

FunkyLady

I forgot to mention, make sure you grease the cookie sheet well.

Quinciferous

Also you might check out this recent community pick:
http://food52.com/recipes...

healthierkitchen

Not exactly squares, but...they sound delicious:

http://food52.com/recipes...

healthierkitchen

http://food52.com/recipes...