🔕 🔔

Stored my rutabaga a bit warm, now they're kind of soft. Smell test doesn't work due to their pungency. Can they still be used?

asked by Johnnyporkchops about 5 years ago

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

The softness would just be from steam, when you covered the veg before they had fully cooled. Whether it is safe to eat or not depends on how long the veg was kept in the "danger zone", which would depend on how large the veg was cut, etc.

To be honest, it's unlikely that the fridge didn't cool the rutabaga down within the requisite time, and the risk is low with a rutabaga anyway, so I'd think you'll be perfectly fine to use it. But many people are in the "if you ever have a doubt throw it out" camp so it depends on your (literal) appetite for risk.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I assume you are referring to storage in the uncooked state? If you don't have a cool spot where you can keep them a little damp, as in a ventilated plastic bag, it's going to be tough to store them. Stay away from rutabaga until it's really fall!--or tell your CSA that.

8a2949db 5d12 4490 9299 dd312c1d0eb2  caribou too

Soo, I bought a ruta from the farmer's market in the city two weeks ago, and ever since then it has been stored in my fridge, uncut, unwashed, and raw since being harvest from the farm (I spoke to the farmer who sold me it and said that it was picked the morning of that day). I had bought forty bucks worth of produce that I had zero experience with, that day. A good portion of the bottom half of it is pretty soft, and from the top middle to the root is still hard. It's a decent size (view image).
Any good?

811009e5 af08 4e61 bbe0 6d9f684f8224  rutabaga21