🔕 🔔

looking for information on identifying different winter squash

finding lots of different hard winter squash at market. anyone know of a source that would show picture and some information on the variety and substitution choices?

asked by sheredel about 5 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Here's a good site:
http://www.thenibble.com...

Wholefoods user icon

For practical purposes, almost all of the winter squashes are interchangeable.

F74e20ae 3da8 46eb b05e 76ef17741370  img 0777 2

thank you both-!

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

I'm not sure I'd agree that all -- or almost all -- winter squashes are interchangeable: a Butternut is not a Delicata is not a Hubbard is not a Spaghetti squash (and those are simply the ones commonly available in the supermarket -- this total list is MUCH longer. I wouldn't (don't) cook any the same way, nor expect the same results if I use one in place of another...

I love the winter squashes. So much versatility and depth of flavor!

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

They aren't quite interchangeable in terms of taste or keeping qualities, which makes them interesting. A buttercup has a dry, almost chestnutty quality and is a pretty good keeper. Butternuts can be peeled and the flesh is more soft; they keep forever. A delicata has such thin skin that it can be eaten, but these squashes are more perishable. You need a hacksaw to get into a hubbard. I'm trying red kuri for the first time this year. Take a peek at a Fedco catalog (available online) to get a real sense of the variety!