🔕 🔔

Selecting/Evaluating Winter Squash

Acorn and butternut are the squashes I most often purchase and, all too often, they prove to be pale, watery and flavorless. Roasting them, of course, can help improve flavor but that's not always my preferred cooking method. Does anyone have tips, suggestions or, better still, fail safe methods for evaluating squash in the market?

asked by wcbixby over 6 years ago

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I haven't had much luck either picking winter squash. Have you tried a different variety like buttercup or delicata? They seem to be more flavorful and sweeter to begin with. I tend to buy these instead of butternut.