🔕 🔔

Selecting/Evaluating Winter Squash

Acorn and butternut are the squashes I most often purchase and, all too often, they prove to be pale, watery and flavorless. Roasting them, of course, can help improve flavor but that's not always my preferred cooking method. Does anyone have tips, suggestions or, better still, fail safe methods for evaluating squash in the market?

asked by wcbixby about 7 years ago

Helen's All Night Diner

I haven't had much luck either picking winter squash. Have you tried a different variety like buttercup or delicata? They seem to be more flavorful and sweeter to begin with. I tend to buy these instead of butternut.