Quick breakfast for a crowd

I'm looking for breakfast ideas for a crowd that I will be making in a rental vacation property with a pretty well stocked kitchen. I'm looking for savory ideas besides the standard strata or breakfast casseroles that is relatively quick and easy to put together. Thanks so much for your ideas.

Lindsay-Jean Hard September 17, 2012

I've had success with baking eggs in avocados for a crowd. Sample recipe: http://ecosalon.com/sunday-recipe-baked-egg-in-avocado-with-parsley-and-goat-cheese/

lloreen
lloreen September 21, 2012

Eggs baked in avocado!!!! How have I never heard of this? I might make this for lunch...I bet this would be delicious with a side of black bean salad and some warm tortillas. Thanks for the idea

Sam1148 September 17, 2012

I tend to like more 'brunch' type food on vacation for my first meal.

A couple of Quiches...with a pre-made pie crust---you're on vacation too.
Shrimp and Grits
Scotch eggs
Smoke Salmon or trout and croissants..with cream cheese and capers.
Home made "egg Mc Muffins"---toasted english muffins, canadian bacon, and eggs and cheese.
A Bloody Mary bar...with assorted garnishes. Olives, Shrimp, cucumber, celery, pickled okra, pickled green bean, etc..etc. (there's a thread down stream here on garnishes).

The Quiche would be pretty easy with the store bought crust..and could be made the night before as it's fine served chilled.

Sam1148 September 17, 2012

Another thought...don't be afraid to add a salad for breakfast. With garnishes in separate bowls So guest can their own choices; Sliced Cherry Tomatoes, bacon, Chopped boiled egg, ham, carrot sticks, sunflower seeds, croutons..etc. Along with sliced fruits.....some people just don't eat heavy egg/meats for breakfast and like lighter choices. On vacation...a bag mixed salad would work well.

QueenSashy September 18, 2012

One of my all time favorite dishes is baby potatoes baked in duck fat. When we are totally decadent we do it with the blue cheese sauce and egg sunny side up. I posted the recipe a while ago, http://www.food52.com/recipes...

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks September 19, 2012

Featherbed Eggs
it's a savory bread pudding for breakfast
The Breakfast Book, by Marion Cunningham can be helpful with this
any bkfst casserole-- check out yr Midwestern ckbks
Midwesterners are only allowed into heaven if they bring a covered hot dish

pierino September 19, 2012

There's an old Neapolitan recipe, Eggs in Purgatory (which also happens to be the name of my blog) that I use when feeding a breakfast crowd. The short version is that it consists of eggs "poached" in a spicy tomato sauce. Spread the sauce out in a casserole. Using the back of a large spoon make indentations in the sauce to contain the eggs. Bake in the oven. The yolks should still be runny. Portion out over toasted bread.

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant September 19, 2012

We attended a very tasty brunch for a crowd that featured two stratas, baked grits, muffins, fruit salad and a beef tenderloin. And as Sam mentioned a bloody mary/mimosa/bellini bar.

dazeyduke
dazeyduke September 19, 2012

Great ideas. Thanks so much. I think I'm going to go with the quiches made ahead of time and I can't resist a bloody Mary bar but I will definitely be trying the other recipes for future brunches. T

Sam1148 September 20, 2012

Add the bagged salad for side dish for the quiches..they pare well. Especially if the quiches are chilled. The salad can re-appear at lunch or dinner.
I'd go with the basic spinach, bacon, cheese quiche.
Depending on where your vacation home is: a bakery or good supermarket; with some store made muffins, fruit salad, etc would round every thing out.

Another option (cheep) is as a dry California sparkling wine. (instead of champagne).
Barefoot Sparkling dry..is a good cheap 10 buck bottle. With supermarket carton of orange/pineapple juice for a brunch drink. To let guests mix in the glasses.
Use the orange/pineapple mix with club soda for non-alcoholic drinks for later or options for guests for hydration if it's a 'active' vacation.

For bacon for the quiche..and some will hate me...the pre-cooked stuff is fine in a quiche and crisps up nicely in the microwave without much fuss...a bit more costly, but easy.
Sometimes you pull out all the stops and go 'full Martha'..on vacation...go Sandra Lee.

Pegeen September 20, 2012

@dazeyduke, bon appetit! Another suggestion regarding shared vacations: always good to have a clear agreement on the budget for meals and how much effort should go into them. Not good to be at odds with one another about what people expect in terms of ingredients or effort. Have fun!

lloreen
lloreen September 21, 2012

My family's holiday breakfast for a crowd is chile relleno casserole. Layer canned green chiles (you could bake your own I guess too) with a handful of grated Mexican cheeses in a buttered baking dish- build it up 3 layers, then pour over 4 beaten eggs, top with more cheese, bake for about 45 minutes and serve with fresh salsa and warm tortillas...You can make this the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.