Measure Steel Cut Oats

Does anyone know how many grams are in 1/4 cup of steel cut oats?

JuJu October 13, 2018
One reply appears to be incorrect--perhaps, a typo.

Although this is a reply to what is now an ancient post, 1/4 C steel cut oats = ~40g, regardless of whether it is 3-minute quick-cook or not.

Yes, an accurately calibrated food kitchen scale is the way to go, but some may buy in bulk (such as I do).

However, a quick check from two very reliable online sources, USDA and a well-known brand of breakfast cereals, Quaker, both show that 1/4 C dry steel cut oats = ~40g. Quaker has traditional and it appears, 3-minute, quick-cook in a couple of varieties. All show same cup-to-gram equivalents.

susan G. September 29, 2012
Curiosity sent me to the kitchen. The steel cut oats in my pantry, bought from bulk, weigh 43 g per 1/4 cup (1.6 oz.). Would a difference in cut -- how fine -- account for the variation?
Maybe the Quaker product is 'quick cooking,' which would involve some kind of parboiling and change the weight:volume ratio?

Linn September 29, 2012
As per labeling data: 1/4 cup uncooked Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats weighs about 40 grams. 1/2 cup Quaker dry steel cut oats weighs 40 grams so 1/4 cup would weigh 20 grams. Sometimes you just got to get a scale and weigh it yourself.

1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats = 5.5 oz so 1/4 cup ~ 1.4 oz.