Measure Steel Cut Oats

Does anyone know how many grams are in 1/4 cup of steel cut oats?

asked by James Durazzo about 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats = 5.5 oz so 1/4 cup ~ 1.4 oz.

Linn

As per labeling data: 1/4 cup uncooked Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats weighs about 40 grams. 1/2 cup Quaker dry steel cut oats weighs 40 grams so 1/4 cup would weigh 20 grams. Sometimes you just got to get a scale and weigh it yourself.

Curiosity sent me to the kitchen. The steel cut oats in my pantry, bought from bulk, weigh 43 g per 1/4 cup (1.6 oz.). Would a difference in cut -- how fine -- account for the variation?
Maybe the Quaker product is 'quick cooking,' which would involve some kind of parboiling and change the weight:volume ratio?