What can I do with a few cups of leftover cooked steel-cut oats?

• Posted by: AEC
  • December 11, 2010

drbabs December 11, 2010

I make a large batch of steel cut oats every week. I refrigerate them and every morning I take a portion and I mix in fruit, fruit butter, honey, maple syrup, nuts or whatever I'm in the mood for and reheat them in the microwave oven. (I happen to like them dry. if you like them soupy you could add some milk, too.)

AEC
AEC December 11, 2010

Thanks. To clarify, I'm looking for something interesting to do with them other than reheat next morning.

drbabs December 11, 2010

oh, haha. Sorry.

hardlikearmour December 11, 2010

How about turn them into a topping for a fruit crisp/cobbler type dish?

iuzzini
iuzzini December 11, 2010

drbabs: that sounds delicious and like a good solution to my not wanting to deal with pots and pans in the morning. :)

AEC- you could use them as a binder for making veggie or bean burgers, or maybe as a risotto substitute in an arancini recipe (work some sauteed shallots and maybe mushrooms, wine, and parmesan cheese into them and then proceed w the recipe), or in a stuffing type of dish-- sounds like a yummy problem to have. ;)

mrslarkin December 11, 2010

I sometimes add it to waffle batter.

usuba dashi
usuba dashi December 11, 2010

My Scottish mother would put left over oats in a pie pan to set til the next day, then slice into wedges, slowly saute in butter til both sides got a wonderful crust on them. We would have it for breakfast with maple syrup or treacle, depending what was in the pantry. Think of it as Scottish polenta.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery December 11, 2010

Mix in a bit of flour, butter, bran, and sugar, then roll out about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into squares and bake until crisp. It's one way to make traditional Scottish oatcakes. You can also form them into slightly thicker rounds and bake them till dry as well. They're great for breakfast with jam, lemon curd, or peanut butter. They keep in the fridge for 1 week easily.

Here's my mom's recipe. It doesn't use cooked oatmeal, but you can just replace the uncooked stuff and hot water with your cooked leftovers and it still works. (Use a bit less flour; use your judgement as you mix it together because you want it to be the consistency of pie crust.) They'll be different in texture, of course, but still delicious. Pecans are optional, but add a nice flavor.

Scottish Oat Cakes
¼ cup boiling water
¼ teas. baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
1 cup flour
½ cup finely chopped pecans
½ cup sugar
½ teas salt
½ cup solid shortening
1/8 cup butter (1/4 stick)

350 degrees, 13-15 minutes

Split dough in half and roll out one at a time on a well-floured board to about 1/8 or ¼ inch thick. Cut into squares or rectangles and place on cookie sheet. Bake.

cheekoli
cheekoli December 13, 2010

Turn it into a bread! Oatmeal bread is delicious.

Good Eats recent episodes featured a recipe very similar to this, using leftover breakfast oatmeal--though with rolled oats; I'm sure any would work.

http://www.foodnetwork...

cheekoli
cheekoli December 13, 2010

Leftover Oatmeal bread
http://www.foodnetwork...

AEC
AEC December 13, 2010

Thanks to all!