🔕 🔔

Cider vinegar substitute

I need at add 1.5 tsp cider vinegar to a pie crust and just realized I don't have any. Should I just substitute with water or is there a better alternative?

asked by Yiota almost 5 years ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Do you have another vinegar on hand? Like white wine vinegar, for example?

Unfortunately I don't. I have balsamic, sherry, distilled, wine, and rice vinegars, but not cider or white wine vinegars. Maybe I'm better off just using water for all the added liquid?

I think I'd go with the other wine vinegar, or maybe the rice if it's not too sweet -- what kind of pie are you making?

It's a pear pie with a hazelnut crumble top. Maybe the rice vinegar would be best given my selection. Thanks for your recommendations!

Wow, that sounds good. You're very welcome -- report back if you discover anything about the vinegars!

Wholefoods user icon

The distilled is your best best - the rice vinegar is usually less acidic.