🔕 🔔

King Salmon Fish Heads

I just got two large king salmon. I have the fish heads and bellies. There is a lot of meat on these pieces that sometimes get discarded. I'm looking for some good ideas to use these pieces. Thank You!

asked by SallyM almost 4 years ago

Not sure how adventurous, but then you're asking for recipes for fish head, so here goes. One of my favorite soups, Vietnamese Hot and Sour Soup, and it's a great recipes to use a salmon head (which is like 80% edible). It's a fantastic one pot meal that only requires a small bowl of rice.

http://wanderingchopsticks...

Great! Thanks for the idea - I just bought Charles Phan's new Vietnamese Home Cooking. Your recipe looks delicious.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Lots of meat on both the salmon head and belly! A couple of ideas:

Fish head curry is a a Singapore favorite. I've never had it with salmon, but I'd certainly give it a go. In Singapore the question is, "Is it really true that people in the US toss the head?"

Also, Japanese salmon head soup (really!)--while some people say that salmon doesn't make a good broth, I think they're wrong. It's just a stronger flavor than you get from leaner, whiter fish.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Great, now I have the "Fish Heads" song stuck my head. (g).