A question about a recipe: gluten-free rhubarb, lemon and almond cake

B8fb7c3f 59ee 4234 ac52 fbd7fb828dcd  img 2529

I have a question about the recipe "gluten-free rhubarb, lemon and almond cake" from Emma Galloway. This recipe looks great, but is there a good fall fruit substitution for rhubarb?

asked by GFChinese almost 6 years ago

Apples, pears? I know a tart apple would be really good in this cake.

GFChinese

Thanks! Somehow the lemon threw me off - but there's no lemon in the recipe is there? Anyway I'll try it to tonight and tell you how it goes!

There's lemon zest in the recipe and the lemon zest will complement just about any fruit.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Roasted plum would probably be nice too

Grapes might be good, but I wonder about pomegranates. I think I would use orange peel and cardamom as the seasonings.

Another idea: persimmons!

Anna H

I made it today with apples that I'd browned first in a little butter and sugar and then added a squeeze of lemon juice to the mix before putting it on top of the cake. It was really good! And the additonal lemon juice was actually really nice with the apples :)