A question about a recipe: French Onion Tart

Da88f425 8754 4711 ad72 c5a387871f37  food52 10 02 12 0686

I have a question about the recipe "French Onion Tart" from Jennifer Perillo. Help! I am in the process of rolling out the dough and it is cracking and falling apart. What do I do?

asked by Rachel Farahnik almost 6 years ago

Sadassa_Ulna

Are you rolling between wax paper or plastic wrap? If not try that it might help. A few drops of ice water might help.

With other doughs, I've been able to sprinkle water on it as I'm rolling to get it to meld back together. You could also sprinkle water, ball it back up, and re-roll it. Good luck!

Sadassa_Ulna

Clarification: I see parchment paper is in the directions and that is best if you have it.

did you rest the dough long enough? In the fridge.
The dough for a crust needs about an 1 or 2 hours in the fridge to let the moisture absorb. As, mentioned a sprinkling of water and ball it back up and rest it again.

PS: Google Vodka Pie Crust...you replace 1/2 of the water with vodka and put that in the freezer and proceed to make a crust dough. The vodka adds moisture but doesn't react with the gluten in the flour; which makes a tough crust which is a problem with overworking crust dough--so it's very forgiving, and the vodka lowers the freezing point of the water in the mix so you don't have ice crystal problems.
Any alcohol is steamed off in baking and you end up with very flaky crust.

threefresheggs

Ah - mazing. Huh!

Definitely chill the dough. And if it still breaks, just piece it into the pan and press the pieces with your fingers to make an unbroken base. You don't want the tart ingredients to leak through and cause the dreaded soggy bottom.