How do you make a peeled perfect hard-boiled egg?

I am having trouble making hard boiled eggs that don't look ravaged when I peel the shells off. Please advise. It takes 12 eggs to get 6 perfect looking specimens!

Lindsay-Jean Hard October 7, 2012

Sarah K. had a suggestion in this thread for easier peeling:
http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Reiney
Reiney October 7, 2012

Use older eggs. The shells are porous and so as the eggs age, the air sac grows. You can speed this process up by leaving them out of the fridge overnight, or for a day or two.

pierino October 7, 2012

I agree with Sarah on older eggs, but not so old that they're floaters. My method is to place them in water, bring just to a boil and remove the pot from heat for 18 minutes. Remove the eggs and give them a roll on the counter top. Eggs contain sulphur so it's hard to defeat the green ring thing on the yolk.

From what I've been reading, when using really "young" fresh eggs for hard cooking, the albumen clings to to the the shell and hence your ragged looking ones.

Reiney
Reiney October 7, 2012

Yes, good point Pierino. You don't want stale, just aged :)

The chef I recently worked for swears by putting eggs in already boiling water for a better textured white. Boil them for 7.5 minutes (for a soft yolk centre) and then a quick ice bath. It does result in one or two casualties (cracked shells) and goes against everything everyone will tell you about hard boiled eggs - but goes to show that there are a million different approaches and techniques on just about everything related to cooking, this included.

Chef Francisco
Chef Francisco October 7, 2012

Thanks for the answers I am doing what you suggested now. Again Thanks.

darksideofthespoon
darksideofthespoon October 7, 2012

I made hard boiled eggs last night and was pretty impressed at how easily the shell came off. I put eggs in cold water with a touch of vinegar. Heat the eggs to boiling, once they boil, set the timer for 10 minutes. After that, cool them off with cold water and peel.