hello, how do I make garlic mayo, like most take aways do?

TiggyBee
TiggyBee November 21, 2010

Here's a version that I like: egg yolk, 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 tsp. white wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp. mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, 3/4 cup mayol, 1 mashed garlic clove - or more if you love garlic!

TiggyBee
TiggyBee November 21, 2010

Oops, typo - Mayo

SweetTea
SweetTea November 22, 2010

you could go all out too and make the mayo base.... Slow version: In a bowl whisk together the 1egg yolk, 1 tsp dijon mustard and 2- 3 finely minced garlic cloves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slowly drop by drop whisk in the about 3-ounces (100mls) extra-virgin olvie oil and 3-ounces (100mls) mild oil such as grapeseed or rice bran. Do this very slowly so to emulsify the oil and liquid. Keep whisking and adding the oil until it is nice and thick. Add some fresh lemon juice to taste and adjust seasoning.

Fast version: First blend together the egg yolk, mustard, garlic and seasonings then slowly drizzle in the oil with the engine going. Add lemon juice to taste and adjust seasoning.