Making garlic roast chicken and taking it to daughter's. Can I "almost" (like not cook last half hour out of 1-3/4 hours), and bring it over and within half hour it will be in her oven to finish?

asked by Martha Healy over 4 years ago

Cristina Sciarra

I agree with SKK, best never to partially cook meat.

Is the dish a braise? (The long cooking time indicates to me that it might be.) If so, you could cook the dish the night before, get it into the fridge overnight, and then gently reheat it once at your daughter's house. The overnight resting time would make it taste even better.

Actually this is a common practice in restaurants, but the meat in question is refrigerated immediately,where it remains until it is finished off in the oven just prior to serving. If you can meet those conditions, go ahead. If not, don't. Perhaps leave early and plan to completely roast the chicken on-site.

Martha Healy

Thanks. Did refrigerate, covered with alum foil and just leaving now. Takes about 10 minutes in 15 degree weather to get to daughters. Will go into her refrigerator until about 5 o'clock. Has another 30 minutes to cook and raise internal temp. Can't imagine safety problem, just taste! And they missed the great smells. But I work at home and can't leave early.