🔕 🔔

Runny lemon curd! Help!

My lemon curd came out too runny and I was planning on using it to fill a tiered cake tomorrow. It is not firm enough as is to use, but is already chilled in the refrigerator. Is there anything I can do to make it firm enough to use as a cake filling?

asked by Couldn't Be Parve almost 4 years ago
2c8043e3 d82a 4710 b88e aca9cbe66271  justsomecook

Your best bet is to throw some bloomed gelatin in there and heat it just enough to melt it in. Maybe a sheet per quart, sight unseen.

38652ee0 a97f 4a67 bef3 a55e9d30f084  img 1433

My concern is that if the lemon curd is too runny, you may not have heated it enough to sufficiently cook the eggs. If you used pasteurized eggs, it's probably fine and I would go with JustSomeCook's suggestion, but if you didn't, I wouldn't risk it. Buy some good jam and use that instead, or make another batch.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Have to agree with china millman - it sounds like you didn't cook it long enough. Assuming you used a recipe with the right ratios, the egg yolks will eventually get there (even if it seems to be taking forever). I'd re-do it.