🔕 🔔

Pasta dough--can you substitute chef's 00 flour for AP flour?

I have fine caputo chef's 00 flour and I wanted to use it to make fresh pasta. The recipe I'm following calls for all-purpose flour. Can I substitute one for the other? Would I have to make any other changes to the recipe if I use the chef's flour?

asked by bonappetitfoodie about 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

These two flours are generally fine to swap, especially in pastas. (A lot of pastas actually call for 00.) The main differences between them are the grind (clearly) and the way that their gluten will behave. You shouldn't need to make any recipe modifications, but you will notice a slight difference in texture. (More bite, less chew.) Hope this helps!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I agree with Kenzi. I made pasta just the other night with the very same brand of 00 flour and it was delicious!