🔕 🔔

I am making a pork cassarole but need some ideas about the liquid to use please. Many thanks

asked by WendyJudi about 7 years ago

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I use chicken broth, homemade if possible. Or I'll brew up a rich vegetable broth with dried mushrooms for some added earthiness. Some caramelized onions too.

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

You may use some tomato juice.
I make a braised pork dish without any liquids. Pork is moist.
Simply pork, cracked garlic with skins and black cured olives

4c189b1c 121a 4f91 83d2 44b790097889  chif chuff 010

These days pork is more moist (thanks to the fat, and the fact that it's no longer "the other white meat"). Pork stock would be ideal, but hard to find. So chicken stock would be your best alternative accompanied by perhaps 1/2 cup white wine or Spanish sherry.

Actually about pork stock . . . I was able to get some nice pork bones and make a big batch (four quarts) of pork stock, primarily for the Chinese Celery and Pork Lo Mein recipe posted by Mr. Hirschfeld . . . then I was flipping through an ancient, small, paperback Chinese cookbook Mr. T bought many decades ago, looking for something else, and saw a recipe for pork stock: marinate some ground pork in a good sprinkling of soy sauce for ten minutes, stir fry it for about a minute, then put water in the wok, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes! Definitely worth considering. It won't have that nice thick gelatinous quality you get with the bones, but it sounds like a great solution for use in something other than a stew or soup or big old pot of beans . . . .;o)