Pulled Pork

I promised my husband I'd make tamales tonight which requires pulled pork. I forgot to get a pork roast at the grocery store... I have a "family pack" of about 3lbs of pork loin chops, could I use that instead? How much would it change the cooktime? Thanks!

asked by JessieLK over 7 years ago

I wouldn't sub pork loin chops. You want a nice fatty cut of meat, like a shoulder to get pulled pork.

I've had pulled pork made from pork loin, and it really isn't very good. hla is right; you need a good, inexpensive cut like a shoulder or short ribs. The latter will braise up much faster if you're in a hurry. Save those lovely chops for another time.

JessieLK

thanks!

Helen's All Night Diner

Do you have a BBQ joint near you? You could pick up a pint to use in your recipe. Unless you have a smoker and about 18 hours you won't have real pulled pork anyways. You cannot barbecue in a crock pot...

Peanut

My husband picked up a package of pulled pork from the prepared foods section of Whole Foods over the weekend, and it was surprisingly good (and humanely raised).

JessieLK

I don't really bbq it Hellon. I usually just marinate it for a day then bake it low for about 13 hours. It completely slipped my mind today. Thanks for the sugg. on the bbq place. I ended up just picking some up.

Helen's All Night Diner

Please post the recipe! I would love to try it.

usuba dashi

Look for carnitas in TJs or any store that may sell Hispanic foods . . or you can cook your own. Take a piece of pork, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 cubes and slow cook in the oven in a fraction of the time compared to a whole joint. You can then treat it like pork BBQ.

JessieLK, there was a good discussion of cuts for braising a few days ago at http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...
It pertained to beef, but the discussion of beef tenderloin compares very well to your pork chops.