Substitute for vin cotto

I'm making a dish of whipped ricotta to serve with grilled bread. The recipe calls for vin cotto to drizzle over the ricotta before I serve it. Sadly, I'm not sure where to look for it and am looking for an alternative in case I can't find it. Any ideas? Thanks

asked by dazeyduke about 6 years ago

A search on amazon.com offers some possibilities for vin cotto
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vincotto+vinegar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7297001009&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20587
But you could also try a very sweet wine like a ruby port

'Vin cotto' means 'cooked wine'. You can make your own, which is the way many people do in Puglia. Here's a recipe to get you started: http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/step-step-recipes/cartellate-cotto-fritters-cooked-wine.aspx

I would use a Primitivo for the red wine.

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

A nice concentrated, aged balsamic vinegar should do. I love using fig balsamic vinegar, too!

I agree, Susan--and was also thinking of mixing just a bit of honey or molasses into the balsamic to get that note of sweetness. I tasted some of the vincotto after I wrote my note above--if I had some molasses, I'd give it a try, but alas, no molasses where I live.

Tarragon

Mario Battalli has instructions for an amazing vino cotto in his recipe for Chicken Vino Cotto inthe Molto Mario cookbook. He tells us to reduce red wine (I think 4 1/2 C, any type of red wine), with honey, cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves. Reduce to 1/4 of original volume. You may be able to find the exact recipe and amounts online. This recipe is one of my all-time favorites.

Deena Montillo

Authentic vino cotto actually contains no vinegar and is made from 100% premium wine grapes. You may want to consider trying a vino cotto that my family produces. We follow my husband's 4th generation Italian family recipe from Calabria. http://vinocotto.us/

piggy091385

Hi, i am branding and marketing agency for vincotto italy. Perhaps i can help you:

check out the link below:

http://luxuryartisancompany.com/2013/06/24/introduction-about-vincotto-products-from-italy/

if you need to purchase in large amount, you can talk to the vincotto manufacturer, otherwise, you might need to look for the distributor or retailer in your country...hope it helps, cheers!

Regards,

Luxury Artisan company