🔕 🔔

I could use some ideas for getting more green on to the Thanksgiving Day plate.

Usually we do green beans or brussels sprouts but they are also usually the lone green in a sea of brown and beige. I'm also looking for something new, no offense to the beans and the sprouts. I need more veggies because Jim sees Thanksgiving as an opportunity to invite every starch to the dinner table. He insists on mashed potatoes, dressing or a savory bread pudding, macaroni and cheese AND rolls and if you let him he'd probably add in a savory pie and a rice dish. It gets browner and beigy-er. I'm not sure why but I have never considered salad a viable Thanksgiving Day side, feel free to change my mind.

asked by Summer of Eggplant almost 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

A wintry salad of thinly sliced fennel and pomegranate seeds is both cool weather-appropriate and a welcome respite from starchy dishes!

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Some great "greens" for Thanksgiving are spinach, kale, swiss chard, or collard greens. Creamed spinach is very traditional but you can also make a very nice autumn green salad with finely shredded kale and swiss chard topped with a vinaigrette and some chopped nuts like almonds

8e1a20a7 1500 40f0 ad58 818107a4b9ad  540434 3765129049943 1219987725 n

I love sauteed greens with a little apple cider vinegar and honey for some seasonal flavor. This kale salad is also light, tasty, and perfect for Thanksgiving (I'm considering adding it to my menu): http://food52.com/recipes...

C7e463f8 c3dc 4220 8e2c 3913de4dfb39  sadcookie
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I have to agree with Monita. I've made collards for Thanksgiving before, and they were a total hit. Here is a little inspiration: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Amanda's kale salad with apples and hazelnuts is one of my favorites, and I served it as a Thanksgiving side last year: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Also, try a vegetable soup! The cauliflower soup is beige (Jim's favorite color) and creamy, but it's actually just vegetables: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

No matter whether I am cooking/hosting the fefast or going as a guest I always prepare a BIG crisp, fresh green salad dressed with a lemony vinaigrette. I have an ulterior motive. I personally NEED a salad in the midst of all those starchy carbs. Sometimes the salad is just "leaves," (and I always include a bitter green like arugula, watercress, endives) or sometimes I'll add shredded carrots, cukes, sliced red peppers, even olives. No croutons, no bacon, no creamy dressing. Those who don't want any don't eat it. I'm fine with that.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

This is my favorite brussels sprouts salad: http://food52.com/recipes..., and there are lots more on this site:
http://food52.com/recipe...

I have to agree with drbabs I love Brussel sprout salad, a little goes a long way

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I make this salad a lot, but as a large tossed salad: http://m.epicurious.com...

I have tweaked it over the years, sometimes I use dried cherries in place of the pomegranate seeds, and I often omit the Mandarin oranges altogether.

44f9ea1e 45a8 4ce1 b893 b8192c186dcf  open uri20121010 19560 7ckhkl 0

Along the lines of Monita's suggestions, my fiancee's family got me hooked on "Utica Greens". Apparently everyone in Utica has their own family recipe, but we sautee swiss chard with chopped onions/garlic, add crushed red pepper, and then finish with a handful of bread crumbs and parmesan. I grew up hundreds of miles away from Utica, yet I was hooked instantly!

Yellow AND green. Don't let the "salsa verde" in the title throw you. The first time I made it at a dinner with my sis-in-law this summer, we both practically shouted "Thanksgiving!" at the same time... because of the marjoram and thyme.
http://food52.com/recipes...
- Omit oregano - just use the marjoram and thyme
- Used twice the amount of herbs and half the amount of oil
- Omitted chile/jalapeno
- Used more cheese

Makes outstanding leftovers.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

Thanks everyone. I'd have to agree I need something sharp to cut through all the butter and cream and cheese. I love to eat but I don't last very long on Thanksgiving.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Have you thought about roasted or shaved raddichio salad with walnuts, pecorino, balsalmic, etc?

It's not green, but I find bitterness cuts through a rich heavy meal (so does a pre-dinner Negroni, but I digress).

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

another great salad topper for a mix of dark greens is persimmon. I love to use them once tomatoes are out of season. I go with Fuyu as I can't stand waiting for the Hachiya to ripen and/or getting a bite of a not yet ripe enough one! Toasted pepitas mix well with the sweet persimmon, as does a slightly more acidic dressing.

Another suggestion - how about some orange? I made Antonia James' parsnip and butternut squash puree and it is easy, healthy and delicious: http://food52.com/recipes...

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

My mother-in-law makes an avacado/grapefruit sections/pomagranate seed salad, with poppy seed dressing for Thanksgiving. The textures, colors, and above all, bitterness, are so welcome to me amid that sea of starch.

How about this? Broccoli Rabe with Savory Pine Nuts and Meyer Lemon
http://food52.com/recipes...

You can prep the rabe a day or two in advance, as well as the toasted pine nuts. It takes a grand total of five minutes on the stove, and can be served at room temperature. Just make sure you wait until the very last minute to sprinkle the lemon juice on the rabe -- I actually do this once the rabe are in the serving dish on the sideboard! -- as the acid, as one would expect, tends to dull the beautiful green color of the lightly cooked rabe after about fifteen minutes. If you're looking for sharp, light and a bit different, this should do the trick. ;o)

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Have a nice recipe, don't know where it came from (?epicurious via a resident physician I was working with)... romaine lettuce, dried cranberries plumped in orange juice, oranges, and toasted almonds or walnuts. I think a walnut oil vinaigrette would be nice with this.... also I have a watercress salad recipe from Diana Kennedy's Nothing Fancy... dressed with sesame seeds, sesame oil, rice vinegar and fresh chopped cilantro.... usually add in shaved fennel. It tastes so clean with all the heavy food. If u cant face washing the salad leaves, I agree with the cooked dark green leafies. The kids will always eat collards because they are sweet and my sister in law gave me a great recipe called "Sleet". The collards are pumped up with a garlic salt (I don't usually use this but it's sacred for this recipe), a little sugar, vinegar... you get the idea. I have been trying to lighten our dinners a little bit so we have more room for dessert and wine. :))

Saw this recipe and thought of your post. As mentioned in the editorial preface, don't let the "fish sauce" put you off.

http://food52.com/blog...

Maybe wild rice with kale would be a compromise? I think I was just reading that Smitten Kitchen has such a recipe.