🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Quinoa and Kale Crustless Quiche

0f57980d 71fd 4114 a143 a99722a878bf  2018 0118 quinoa kale crustless quiche 3x2 julia gartland 7281

I have a question about the recipe "Quinoa and Kale Crustless Quiche" from Hilarybee. Can this be made dairy-free? Would Tofutti Cream Cheese work? Can the shredded cheese be omitted?

asked by Carolyn L. over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I've made this a lot, but never dairy free. I've used yogurt in place of the cream cheese though. Maybe you could use soy yogurt? And I think you could leave out the cheese, but it adds a lot of flavor,so if you're going to do that, increase the onions and garlic and throw in some chopped fresh herbs that you like.

De461e32 fb58 4b86 a0f9 55234ca13ab5  headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

I've made this recipe several times too and I think tofutti cheese would work. You could also try daiya brand which is tapioca based and melts really well. You can find it at Whole Foods.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Hi Carolyn, sorry I missed this. For next time, I think you could probably skip the cheese altogether. The Egg and quinoa are really the binding agents, and I think the quiche will be looser without cheese, but I think it will still hold up. I've used the Tofutti cream cheese, and I think that would work, too.