🔕 🔔

Any suggestions for kohlrabi?

I got a bunch in my farm box and don't know how to cook.

asked by lizzyv almost 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Here's a great place to start!

http://food52.com/recipes...

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

kohlrabi chips are really yummy. Here's a recipe
http://www.marthastewart...

C7e463f8 c3dc 4220 8e2c 3913de4dfb39  sadcookie
figgypudding

Kate is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Kohlrabi carpaccio is hard to beat, because it's open to so many different interpretations. Start by slicing the kohlrabi quite thin and laying it in a circular pattern. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can then add cheese, fresh herbs (thyme is lovely),other veggies (beets and radishes work really well), etc. The possibilities are endless.

There are some other suggestions in this thread from last spring:
http://food52.com/hotline...

I like to shred them and saute in butter with salt, pepper, herbs.

It's delicious roasted like butternut squash

01b48b59 1e3e 4b7d 9e6a 5b584da57c9f  me

I have never tried kohlrabi, but there's a recipe in the Ottolenghi Jerusalem book for a raw kohlrabi salad I want to try. It's peeled, dice kohlrabi with a yogurt/olive oil/lemon juice dressing.

Two things:
1. I like to roast bite-sized chunks at high temperature (450-500) in a cast iron pan with just salt pepper and olive oil. I let them go about 20 min then stir them around and go another 20 or so until they are soft on the inside with a few brown crispy sides where they were contacting the pan.
2. Kohlrabi can have relatively thick fibrous skin. Make sure that you peel it deeply enough to get rid the course fibers. You can usually tell when you have peeled enough when you get to an even color and your knife slices freely (I don't suggest using a vegetable peeler because they don't cut deeply enough so you will have to go over it a few times). Also, the top is always more tender than the bottom so you may need to peel more deeply near the root end.

6ab836a9 ad70 48e6 8c89 71c630335b89  9420 599087711266 6388710 n

Kohlrabi is so refreshing and crunchy when it's fresh, I eat it like an apple after I peel the top layer of skin. I like to incorporate it into quinoa salads with beats, peas, nuts, berries and a lemony vinaigrette. I can envision it in tabboulehs, panzanellas, even tatzikis. It's mild bitterness is so pleasant, I would substitute it for cucumbers in many applications.