🔕 🔔

Apple Pie Filling In A Jar

I just received a large box of beautiful apples and I am looking for a low sugar apple pie filling recipe to can ....... water bath canning.

asked by joann castellanos almost 5 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

The basic instructions for pie filling can be found at the National Center for Home Food Preservation website (nchfp.edu) Add spices sparingly as they build strength in the jar. Substitute cornstarch for ClearJel, but never flour. Combining dried and fresh apples can extend your fresh apples and help thicken the pie filling. I suggest canning the filling in both quart and pint jars, as it's nice to have a smaller amount to make hand pies. Canned pie filling is as useful for crisps and cobblers as it is for pie.