🔕 🔔

Bitter polenta

I love polenta (when I eat it out at restaurants), but whenever I make it at home, it has a weird/bitter taste to me. I have a few theories - maybe the cornmeal is rancid, perhaps I didn't cook it enough and it's still a bit raw, or maybe that's just what polenta tastes like and I'm not putting as much cheese/butter as a restaurant would to hide the flavor. Does this happen to anyone else?

asked by annemlock over 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Freshness of the cornmeal could be the culprit. Experiment with a fresh box and see if that makes a difference. Polenta needs lots of seasoning as well

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

If you google "bitter polenta," you'll see lots of indications that you should cook it longer.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Whole grain corn as polenta is subject to rancidity. You can protect it by storing in the freezer.

I too got bitter polenta when I first cooked. I could not eat it.